SHOULD I BE GLAD THAT I AM ACCREDITED BY THE PHILIPPINES DEPARTMENT OF TOURISM???

Finally... After waiting for the last 2 months, my renewal with Department of Tourism is approved. I am accredited by The Philippines Department of Tourism as a Tour Guide for 2013/2014 but is it something to be happy about? 

I first came to the Philippines in 1992 when I joined a group of church members in Singapore and volunteer myself as a worker to raise funds to the victims of Mount. Pinatubo when it was erupted. I stayed in the Philippines for a month before heading back to Singapore. I did mention that I will be back in this country and amazingly in 2002, I came back to the Philippines and went to Bible College.

In 2004, I joined Club Panoly Resort Boracay as one of the Directors and remembering those times when I was given the opportunity to join Department of Tourism to market the Philippines. I was also inspired by many Tour Guides when they brought their guests to the resort and I decided to take up TOUR GUIDE COURSE organised by Department of Tourism in 2007. It was one month course, learning about the Philippines and how to be an effective Tour Guide. When I received my Certification as a Licensed Tour Guide, I was so proud that I went through the training and licensed to guide tourists in the country. Promoting Philippines as a fun destination!

However; when I decided to be a guide in Boracay Island. I was so surprised that my license with the Department of Tourism Philippines is not recognised by the Malay City Government. I have to pay Php20,000.00 to work as a Tour Guide in the island and I was even more surprised that anybody can be a Tour Guide as long as they pay Php20,000.00 even they are not accredited by Department of Tourism. 

As a foreigner, you are only allow to work in the Philippines if you have a Work Permit or you are already a Permanent Resident. To apply for a Work Permit, you must be working under a company registered by the City Government but in Boracay; foreigners can just pay Php20,000.00 and apply for a Special Work Permit. They don't have to apply for a Work Permit to work as a guide. This is only allowed in Boracay and I do wonder why the Government are not doing anything about it.

Since it is so easy to be a guide in the island, apparently there are so many guides guiding and they are not accredited by Department of Tourism. To make matter worse, there are also many commissioners guiding in the island. Since Boracay is the busiest island in the Philippines, I should be so busy with tourists but my jobs are taken away by all these illegal tour guides and commissioners. Should I still be happy about my accreditation with Department of Tourism? Should I still be proud about being an accredited Tour Guide of Department of Tourism? 

Time files... I am already living in the Philippines for more than 10years. It has always been my commitment to promote Philippines as a fun destination, it is indeed more fun in the Philippines but it is even more fun in Boracay Island. I am a law abiding citizen, I will apply for whatever necessary permits to operate and work. Most importantly, I pay my dues annually to BIR to support the country.

I sincerely hope the City Government will look into this situation and make sure that all tour guides and commissioners are trained by the Department of Tourism. They need to be accredited before they are allowed to apply for a permit to work as a Tour Guide in the island and foreigners, will work under a company and apply a Work Permit before they work as a guide in the island. May we continue to make Boracay a fun destination without the compromise of safety, fun and regulations. :-)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

RENEWAL OF TOUR GUIDE LICENCE

DOING SOMETHING DIFFERENT IN BORACAY

CROWN REGENCY HOTELS & RESORTS